Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Repurpose a Vinyl Record into a Trendy Tray

I had tons of fun with this project! I started with an old vinyl record I had in the closet. If you don't have any laying around, you can find them pretty cheaply at thrift stores.

Here's the final result:



And here we go!
Materials:

  • an old LP
  • plate
  • cookie sheet
  • scrapbooking paper
  • Mod Podge
  • oven
  • something for the base (I used a funky thrift store glass that I had painted)

Turn your oven on to about 200-250 degrees. Place the plate upside down on the cookie sheet and the LP on the plate. It doesn't take long for the vinyl to heat up. Since I was working on some other projects and got distracted, I left mine in the oven about 10 minutes, but 3-5 is really all that's necessary.



After taking the record out of the oven, let it cool and then remove it from the plate. 

Next, cut 2 circles out of your scrapbook paper. Paint a layer of Mod Podge over the label, place one of the circles there and paint another layer over the circle. Repeat on the other side. I usually do three coats each as I like the high gloss.



I also used a damp washcloth to remove the excess Mod Podge. Let dry. 

To attach the base I used 527 Bond which is my favorite go to adhesive. It holds great!



For best results, let dry overnight. And violla! There you have it! Perfect for jewelry, cosmetics, etc!


No comments:

Post a Comment